Sunday, April 4, 2010

A visit to the Church of Scientology

A few weeks ago Sam Dowdle, Alex Suryan, Ben Melton, Jason Covert, Ryan Uhrich and I went to the Seattle Church of Scientology. We took a personality test called the "Oxford Capacity Analysis"... no word on whether anyone with any connection to the University of Oxford was consulted to create the test. The test was over 200 questions long and asked questions like, "do you often make thoughtless remarks or accusations which you later regret?" and "do you sleep well?". My results seemed contradictory to me because it said I am both nervous and determined. We also were the only people who didn't work at the church to attend the Sunday service. We saw many signs and symbols similar to christianity including crosses, the pastor's collar, and his title, "pastor". However, he claimed scientology is not based on traditional religion. Before we went to the church, I did some research of my own. I found some clips of writing from founder L. Ron Hubbard quoting famous psychologists, however I also found writings by him rebuking modern psychology. While we all found the experience interesting, I think it raised far more questions than it answered.

Curtis Knapp

No comments:

Post a Comment